Common Things at Last

For now, nothing more than the public diary of an anonymous man, thinking a few things out.

Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Monday, July 07, 2008

An Annoyance

Why is Blogger's block quote function so useless? The much-maligned Microsoft Word somehow manages to figure out that a block quote means a new left margin now exists, with words on the right wrapping into place along the new margin and not carrying with them their enter commands on the right-hand side. In visual terms, what this means is that I have to manually re-configure each block paragraph I create, so that instead of this:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
bbbbbbb
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
bbbbbbb
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
bbbbbbb
I get this:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
bbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaabbbbbbbaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbb
bb
Which obviously makes more sense.

If Blogger has in fact fixed this problem with some work-around, I make no mea-culpas for not doing my research, as their block quote button has not incorporated it, and a block quote button that doesn’t block quote seems fairly useless to me.

If the fault lies with html code, and not Blogger, then I guess I’m sorry. But if somebody’s invented the i-Phone, not to mention this tablet I’m using, couldn’t someone figure this out, considering just how many are blogging today?

Update: This is not to mention that in the “Compose” window of the Create Post function, a space between the main text and the first line of a block quote is meaningless until it is actually placed manually in the “Edit Html” window. Why? And the same space below the block quote is always smaller than the space above it. Why? None of this seems rational, though no doubt code writers – and I am ignorant of their craft – know the reasons.

Update: Of course, now that I’ve pasted this into Blogger (which can’t do curly quotes or apostrophes, so I compose in Word), I’ve got to reformat the block quotes again. Sigh. I know, it’s the least of my worries, and the system’s free. Shut up and blog.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home