Common Things at Last

For now, nothing more than the public diary of an anonymous man, thinking a few things out.

Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Pseudonymicon

Been thinking that speaking of “my wife” constantly sounds rather impersonal. I could do what someone like John Derbyshire does, and speak of her as “Mrs. Common Things at Last,” but since I actually have a pseudonym, rather than a nickname, if that’s what you call “The Straggler,” it makes sense to give her a pseudonym too. Clearly she is Mrs. Hawking, but her first name must needs be provided. I have other reasons for the name I have selected, Kay, but I also like the WASP-ish quality; it goes well with Hawking, I think. There are no doubt Hawkings in various leafy Connecticut suburbs. Perhaps one contemplates adultery in a Cheever story, though that is emphatically not my implication. Nor is Kay is what one would call WASPy, but what good a pseudonym that doesn’t deceive?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home