Common Things at Last

For now, nothing more than the public diary of an anonymous man, thinking a few things out.

Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Monday, January 14, 2008

Imitation

Having read a good chunk of Gregory L. Roper's The Writer's Workshop, and having used it a bit in a class I teach (already named "Writer's Workshop," thought not by me) I've had two thoughts. First, I thought I would work my way through the book itself. This will both help me get a better feel for teaching it, as well as give me some writing exercise. I've also thought that I might well follow the instructions into other writings, do what Chesterton does somewhere in his poems, and imitate some of the great poets out there in there efforts. The thought I had today was to write a new response to "The Passionate Shepherd." It was apparently done many times before Although Raleigh came along and had pretty much the last word with his "Nymph's Reply," I'm sure it's been done since, according to the indispensible Wikipedia, by such luminaries as John Donne and Ogden Nash. The Donne one is about fishing apparently, and is called, "The Bait." I'm sure it's devestatingly clever, but I was up too late last night and I'm rather confused and unable to process at the moment. So anyway, at some point I'll get around to putting together my own version. This of course comes with the caveat for my faithful and long-suffering readership that it's probably not going to happen anytime soon, much as you may be salivating, or otherwise expressing your impatience, over it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home