Common Things at Last

For now, nothing more than the public diary of an anonymous man, thinking a few things out.

Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Monday, December 11, 2006

Elizabeth Anscombe

Briefly, something I read over the weekend and intend to return to is Elizabeth Anscombe's article on the Church's ruling on contraception, "Contraception and Chastity." I'm putting it up simply to increase its exposure on the web, even though I do not know one way or the other whether I am able to accept everything it says. It's apparently quite a famous essay, and Anscombe is apparently quite a famous woman, which doesn't speak well to my studies in philosophy in college, especially since I took a class on Wittgenstein, on whom Anscombe is an acknowledged expert. (I always felt that if I had only read Wittgenstein about ten or fifteen more times, instead of only once, and only partially, that I would have come to understand him. There may be something to that belief.) You may have heard of Anscombe, as I had without recollecting her name, if you are a fan of C. S. Lewis, and know that he was humbled in philosophical debate with a young woman philosopher.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home